Gluten free baking recipes
Gluten is a protein substance found mainly in cereal grains such as wheat barley or rye. Gluten serves as glue and holds dough together giving it its elastic texture. It makes bread and cakes rice and give it a chewy texture.
Gluten free baking recipes are meant for people who have certain health conditions that are worsened by gluten intake. The conditions include celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. Celiac disease is the most common condition resulting from gluten intolerance. It tends to fight off the gluten protein where the immune system attacks the lining of the small intestines resulting to anemia, digestive issues and nutrient deficiencies and many other diseases.
There are very many gluten free baking recipes from cakes to biscuits to bread for people who are trying to get rid of gluten diet. I will however focus my attention on a recipe of Gin and tonic gluten free cake.
You can prepare this recipe for an individual with gluten related conditions or just someone who wants to get rid of gluten intake at home.
Gin And Tonic Gluten Free Baking Recipe
Gluten Free Baking Cake Ingredients
For the cake
- 120g soft butter, with no salt
- 120g rice flour
- 3 eggs
- 120g caster sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 40ml of gin
- 40ml water, tonic
- 6lime zest
For the syrup
- 5juiced limes
- 130g caster sugar
- 17ml of tonic water
- 17mlof gin
For the icing
- 17ml of gin
- 2 limes
- 17ml tonic water
- 60g sifted icing sugar
Gluten Free Baking Cake Recipe Procedure
- Heat the oven to about 190 degrees Celsius. Use a loaf tin or a savarin tin of 23 diameter to grease flour
- Mix the cake ingredients repeatedly to obtain a fluffy and pale mixture. Smooth the top of the mixed ingredients in the tin with batter, using a spoon and bake for 30 minutes.
- While the cake mixture is baking, Pour the syrup ingredients in a pan and stir over minimum heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Prepare a wire rack and place a grease proof sheet of paper below the rack to trap any drips. The cake is now ready to be overturned on the wire rack
- Make tiny holes all over the cake using a cake skewer and then spread the syrup on the holes using a spoon. Leave it to soak in and let the cake cool completely
- Once the cake has cooled, sprinkle the mixed icing ingredients over it.You can choose decorate with a little lime zest.
- Serve with a gin and tonic
A gluten free recipe helps eliminate digestive issues such as bloat, cramping, gas, upset tummies, vomiting, constipation, nausea, weight loss and chronic fatigue. The immune system of celiac individuals tries to fight the gluten intake via the gut lining; leaving the small intestines weak and less functional therefore they cannot absorb other food nutrients.
Gin is a substance formed from a herb. The herb increases secretion of digestive enzymes and stomach acid secretions. Digestive enzymes help to break down food in the body thus enhancing the digestive process.